What is the active ingredient in Vital Oxide , its chlorine dioxide?
Chlorine dioxide has chlorine in its name. Its chemistry is very different from the corrosive chemistry of chlorine bleach. The primary differences are that chlorine dioxide is less caustic, safer, and gentler than bleach and many other antiseptics and antimicrobials; further, chlorine bleach produces harmful by-products to the environment, including trihalomethanes (THM) and haloacetic acids (HAAS). Vital Oxide breaks down to a simple salt, producing no harmful byproducts.
Is Vital Oxide "Green"?
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is currently reviewing the way third parties will be able to carry "green" claims on all disinfectant labels. EPA policy at this point does not allow "green" claims to be placed directly on any disinfectant product's label. While Vital Oxide is mild on skin, hard surfaces, and fabric, and will certainly qualify for "green status" when the designation is allowed, we cannot advertise this claim until it is permitted by the EPA. Vital Oxide is also a powerful disinfectant able to kill some of the toughest and most resistant forms of bacteria and mold. The chemical composition of Vital Oxide is such that it has a minimal impact on the environment and contains no ozone harming volatile compounds (VOC).
Why Vital Oxide?
The easiest way to answer this question is simply; Not all disinfectants are created equal. When evaluating and comparing disinfectant products, take a close look at their core ingredients. Vital Oxide uses a unique chemical compound called chlorine dioxide. While other competitors and manufacturers have attempted to copy and produce a form of stabilized chlorine dioxide similar to Vital Oxide, our revolutionary formula is simply unequaled. Chlorine dioxide has been used during Anthrax attacks in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, to purify drinking water, and most recently to kill MRSA in schools and hospitals. Also, consider carefully what kind of chemicals you want around your children, employees, patients, students, and close family members. Most disinfectants and mold removers on the market are extremely toxic, but Vital Oxide gives you peace of mind that you are using an effective product that does not come with alarming safety warnings and precautions.
What is a Hospital Disinfectant?
As part of the EPA registration process, disinfectant products are put through rigorous testing to prove their efficacy and measure toxicity. The EPA registers three types of disinfectants: Limited, General, and Hospital. All three disinfectants destroy or irreversibly inactivate certain microorganisms on hard, inanimate surfaces and objects. You can determine a "limited,” "general," or "hospital" disinfectant by the microorganisms listed on the label.
Limited must be supported by efficacy testing against either Salmonella cholerasuis or Staphylococcus aureus. Limited disinfectants are found mostly in household use.
General must be supported by efficacy testing against both Salmonella cholerasuis and Staphylococcus aureus. General disinfectants are used in commercial areas
Hospital must be supported by AOAC Use Dilution or AOAC Germicidal Spray efficacy testing against Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella cholerasuis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa hides behind biofilm and is difficult to eliminate. Killing this bacterium is required for "Hospital Disinfectant".
Also, as part of this evaluation process, products are assigned to a toxicity category: The categories range from category 1 (highly toxic) to category 4 (no exposure warnings required on the label). Vital Oxide received an EPA category 4 rating for all exposure routes with the exception of mild eye irritation
What does “no-rinse required on food contact surface mean?
“No rinse required on food contact surfaces” is a safety rating given by NSF International (previously the National Sanitation Foundation). The NSF testing guidelines are a continuation of the USDA product approval and listing program, including the FDA 21. Vital Oxide is rated “no-rinse required on food contact surfaces” category D2, meaning Vital Oxide is approved for use in commercial or residential kitchens to control bacteria, viruses, and mold without the need to wash/rinse the area with water after Vital Oxide is applied.